Baru seeds have been studied in Academia for the last 25+ years, with peer-reviewed articles published in respected journals such as PLOSone, the Journal of Food Research and Food Research International, the latter ones Canadian.
Baru seeds are a well-rounded natural food and certainly a great addition to vegan, paleo, and ketogenic diets.
For athletes, they offer:
- A high protein content, with a complete essential and non-essential amino acids profiles
- A 2:1 protein-carb ratio
- A low glycemic index
- A source of omega-3 and omega-6 polyunsaturated fats
- A source of calcium, iron, zinc, magnesium and Vitamin E
For vegetarians and vegans, they offer:
- A new, sustainable vegetable protein source, with with a complete essential and non-essential amino acids profiles
- A new, versatile ingredient for recipes of all kinds
For your overall health, they offer:
- Effectiveness regarding weight control and weight reduction, aiding to a leaner body
- Satiety control and bowel mobility due to its high fibre content
- Effectiveness regarding cholesterol control
- High antioxidant power
- Prevention of oxidative stress due to iron-supplemented diets
- Prevention of cardiovascular diseases due to the synergy of its essential fatty acids, fibre and antioxidants
Click here to download our white paper and learn more about the nutritional properties of baru seeds!
- Araujo, A. C. F., Rocha, J. C., Paraiso, A. F., Ferreira, A. V. M., Santos, S. H. S., Pinho, L. (2017). Consumption of baru nuts (Dipteryx alata) in the treatment of obese mice. Ciencia Rural, 47:02, e20151337
- Fernandes, D. C., Alves, M. A., Castro, G. S. F., Junior, A. A. J., Naves, M. M. V. (2015). Effects of Baru Almond and Brazil Nut Against Hyperlipidemia and Oxidative Stress In Vivo. Journal of Food Research, 4, 4, 38-46.
- Fernandes, D. C., Freitas, J.B., Czeder, L. P., Naves, M. M. V. (2010). Nutritional composition and protein value of the baru (Dipteryx alata Vog.) almond from the Brazilian Savanna. J Sci Food Agric, 90, 1650-1655.
- Bento, A.P., Cominetti, C., Simões, F. A., Naves, M.M. (2014). Baru almond improves lipid profile in mildly hypercholesterolemic subjects: a randomized, controlled, crossover study. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis, 2014 Dec, 24, 12, 1330-1336.
- Souza, R. G. M. (2014). Effect of baru almonds consumption associated to isoenergetic on body composition, serum lipids and antioxidant enzymes activities in overweight/obese women. (Master’s Dissertation). Universidade Federal de Goiás, 2014.
- Siqueira, E. M.A., Rosa, F.R., Fustinoni, A. M., Sant’Ana, L.P., Arruda, S.F. (2013). Brazilian Savanna Fruits Contain Higher Bioactive Compounds Content and Higher Antioxidant Activity Relative to the Conventional Red Delicious Apple. PLOS ONE, 8, 8, e72826.
- Siqueira, E. M. A., Marin, A. M. F., Cunha, M. S. B., Fustinoni, A. M., Sant’Ana, L. P., Arruda, S. F. (2012). Consumption of baru seeds (Dipteryx alata Vog.), a Brazilian savanna nut, prevents iron-induced oxidative stress in rats. Food Research International, 45, 427-433.