1 cup Baru Baron’s Baru Seeds
2 cups water, plus more for soaking
Sweeteners like maple syrup (optional)
Blender or food processor
Fine-mesh nut bag or cheesecloth
1. Soak the baru seeds in a bowl covered with an inch of water. Do it overnight or up to 2 days in the fridge. The more you soak, the creamier the milk.
2. Drain and rinse the baru under cool running water.
3. Combine the baru and water in the blender/food processor. If you like thinner milk, you can add more water.
4. Blend until baru is broken to a fine meal and water is white and opaque.
5. Line a fine-mesh strainer with the nut milk bag or cheesecloth, and pour the mixture into the strainer.
6. Gather the nut bag or cheese cloth around the baru mixture and twist close. Press all the baru milk from the baru meal.
7. Sweeten to taste. Lasts in a sealed container for up to 2 days.
You can use the leftover baru meal in oatmeal and smoothies, or dry it in a low oven for baked goods.