This is a simple bread recipe, really rich in antioxidants and fibre.
- 1 package of active dry yeast
- 4 cups of wheat flour
- 1 cup of Baru Baron's baru flour
- 1 1/2 cup of water
- 1/2 cup of oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- eggwash - 1 egg yolk whisked with a teaspoon of water
- coarsely ground baru seeds to taste
- Dissolve the yeast in lukewarm water. Stir sugar and one cup of wheat flour. Cover and let it rise for 1 hour.
- Add the eggs and the extra yolk, oil, salt and bring the dough together. Gradually add the remaining wheat flour and the baru flour.
- Knead it for 10-15 minutes until firm. There should be no flour remaining in the bowl.
- Smear oil into a clean bowl, and turn the dough in it so it's covered by a thin oil layer. Cover with a cloth and let it rise for another 2 hours.
- Knead it again for another 15 minutes and let it rise to double its volume, for 1 hour.
- Split the dough into two strips. Braid them into a big loaf, or two smaller loaves. Let them rise for another 30 minutes.
- Brush the egg wash on it, and sprinkle the coarsely ground baru over.
- Bake it in a pre-heated oven at 400ºF(200ºC) for 30 minutes. Lower to 350ºF (180ºC) for another 10 minutes to a golden brown.